Sunday, March 6, 2011

Time

I came across these pictures today, and I remember taking them, I just forgot how long ago it was. Just over a year ago, before we were due with Asher. We went to Duluth, on a whim, just for the afternoon. We had always dreamed of taking River there for family vacations. My husband and I both went to college there and we still love visiting. We were married there as well, so we feel like that area has a big part of our lives.

We were there in February, I can't remember the date exactly,but it was so warm here, that we had spring fever and wanted to walk the shore of Lake Superior. Off we went! We arrived and the shore was frozen, but the lake was so pretty and peaceful. I think it was a family vacation with River, before his baby brother arrived.

I wanted something to remember that time, and I wrote his name, with small pebbles that fill the shore, in the frozen edge of this beautiful lake. During the time it took me to do this (which was a while being 8+ months pregnant) , my husband was walking the edge of the lake. When he returned, he saw River's name and smiled. I decided that I didn't want to move his name, I would leave part of him there on that shore. As we walked away, I took this photo:

It's amazing to me, that I didn't realize this was over a year ago, but I remember that day like it just happened. I remember driving home, very late, after we had dinner and we talked the whole way (2 hours) about River, about our love for him, our fears, our faith and our family.

"Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity."
Henry Van Dyke

The first time I read this quote, I thought "time is too long for those who grieve, it's forever. It's the rest of my life!" It wasn't until today, that I realized I had overlooked the end of this quote, loving someone makes time eternal, I will love River forever. He may not be here for me to hold in my arms, but I hold onto him with my heart, and in my memories...like this crazy Febraury afternoon on the shore of Lake Superior.

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I love these pictures! Dave and I went to school in duluth too! When we were there for Christmas, I felt connected to Ellie for some reason. We saw a couple beautiful sunrises and they just reminded me of Ellie. It must be something about the lake :) I looked at the date of River's Ride hoping that we would be able to come but my sister-in-law is getting married that day. We will be there in spirit though!

DandelionBreeze said...

What a beautiful quote and stunning photos.... love is eternal especially the love we have for our children, no matter where they are xoxo

Megan said...

So so beautiful. There is something magical... something comforting in JUST seeing their name. For a moment, seeing that extra special name in physical person, makes the hurt just a little less! <3

All my love and prayers,
Megan

Natasha said...

I love this....for those who love, time is eternity. What a great way to remember our babies. Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

That's an amazing quote! And upon my first reading of it, I of course, honed in on the grief part. But your perspective is true! It's a comfort knowing the love we have for our babies will never go away!
Beautiful pictures too.

Tiffany said...

i love the quote (and the pics). i also focused on the "too long for those who grieve" portion. i guess that shows where i am in my journey.

Post a Comment